The Department of Health uses Pregnancy Awareness Week to strengthen pregnancy education and stress important issues that promote healthy pregnancy and safe motherhood.
Pregnant women should start attending antenatal care as soon as they suspect that they are pregnant and certainly within their first trimester.
Early antenatal care attendance provides:
* The opportunity to exclude and manage existing medical conditions which can be aggravated by the pregnancy, such as hypertension, diabetes, infections, and anemia.
* Free HIV testing and voluntary counseling (VCT).
early recognition of danger signs in pregnancy and post delivery.
* Birth preparedness and complication readiness.
* Self-care including nutrition and high standard of hygiene.
* Information on the role of the father, the male partner, and the family.
For more information:
Let’s grow South Africa together
Dr Wolmarans: 012 549 8900 / email@example.com
Visit out website for more info: www.gjmw.co.za